This afternoon at First Vespers of the Immaculate Conception, the Monks of Notre Dame Priory inaugurated Immaculate Conception Church. The church, which was originally built in the northeastern part of Tasmania in a mining town called Pioneer, was moved a first time in 1947 to a suburb of Launceston called St Leonard’s. At that time, the then Archbishop Tweedy dedicated it to the Holy Family. To honour its arrival at the monastery in Colebrook for the Vigil of the Immaculate Conception 2019, the monks have decided to rededicate it to the Immaculate Conception.
Over the last year, thanks to the involvement of the archdiocese, through the services of Catholic Care, led by Ben Wilson, under the guidance of building surveyor Joe Mamic and a number of professional tradesmen, the monks themselves doing the painting and final touches, the church is finally ready for the use of the community.
At a date still to be announced, it will be solemnly blessed by Archbishop Porteous and established as a semi-public oratory.
See video here: https://fb.watch/2dABispRm8/